Holidays on the River Ice Rink and Weekly Special Events
· When - January 1, 2017 through January 16, 2017
· Where - Tuscaloosa Amphitheater
· Come out and enjoy one of the most exciting attractions that the City of Tuscaloosa has to offer every holiday season.
· Cost - $10.00 per person (purchase tickets online at Ticketmaster or at the box office)
Beaks and Barks Winter Festival
Give your furry friends and yourself a treat by getting out of the house to enjoy some winter beauty and fun.
· When - Runs from January 14 to February 28, 2017
· Where - Huntsville Botanical Garden, 4747 Bob Wallace Avenue, Huntsville
· Enjoy the Lewis Birding Trail
· No-leash zone for dogs
· Cost - Free for Garden members, $8-10 for non-members, $1 per dog
Get ready for the New Year in the best possible way by heading to Red Mountain Park outside Birmingham to enjoy family, friends, food and fun. Beautiful scenery and great exercise is the right way to get your whole family's resolutions revved up.
· When - December 31, 2016, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
· Where - Red Mountain Park, off the Lakeshore Parkway Exit from Interstate 65
· Cost - $20 admission
Birmingham Chili Cook-Off
This tasty event in late winter benefits the Exceptional Foundation. It attracts 10,000 people a year to come enjoy the winning combination of chili, beer and music.
· Chili competition
· Where - 780 Brookwood Village, Birmingham
· When - March 4, 2017: 10:30 am - 3 pm
· Good People beer and chili tastings
· Live music
· Cost - $15 donation; children 12 and under are free
Prattville Mardi Gras Parade and Celebration
Let the good times roll on Mardi Gras in Prattvile, just outside Montgomery. Families love to line the streets to catch beads from floats and enjoy festive food and fun.
· When - February 11, 2017
· Where - Main Street in Prattville
· Food and music begin at 11:00 a.m.
· Parade begins at 2:00 p.m.
· Arts and crafts, plus inflatables for kids to have fun
· Floats, dancers, and candy and beads tossed to the parade viewers along the route.
· Cost - Free
BONUS ACTIVITY –
Winter Wonderland at the McWane Science Center
Kids love the indoor fun and the Magic of Model Trains exhibit. Each train exhibit has scenery scaled exactly to match the size of the train.
· Where - McWane Science Center, 200 19th Street N, Birmingham
· Have fun on the ice slide and extended zip line
· Ride the McWane Train
· Magic of Model Trains exhibit features meticulously detail
· Cost - $13 for adults, $9 for kids
Also available at the McWane Science Center: Sharks, sea monsters, dinosaurs and more